Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Sticky Situation

     George looked up from shoeing the horse to see the outline of Curley's wife in the doorway of the barn. They were alone.
     "You seen Curley?" She drawled as she batted her eyelashes at him. "I've been looking high and low an' I can't seem to fin' him anywhere."
     "I'm sure you looked real hard. Pro'ly too busy givin' e'ryone the eye."
     "Now what you mean by that? I'm sure I'm as loyal as a dog." She strolled further into the room and took a seat on one of the empty bushels of hay. "Now why you always givin' me the shoulder? I ain't done you no wrong."
     "No, but I'm sure ya mean to. Yer always sniffin' around here, lookin' to stir up trouble no doubt."
     "Can't nobody blame a gal for talkin'. You know, there's plenty of fish in the sea, George. I don't need to talk to ya. I just thought it might be nice that's all." Suddenly, she stood and turned, looking over her shoulder at George. "I'll just leave ya to it then George." she huffed as she started towards the door.
     "Ah hell, I didn't mean to push your buttons." George grumbled.
     "Well it's too late for that now. Dontcha know loose lips sink ships?" With that, she fled the scene.
     "Talk about a damsel in distress." George rolled his eyes and went back to business as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment